Oral historians based in Victoria are encouraged to apply for one of two annual awards judged by Oral History Victoria (OHV):
Oral History Victoria Community Innovation Award: open to all community-based oral history practitioners, including freelance workers and professional historians, and members of voluntary organisations and public institutions (excluding educational institutions).
Oral History Victoria Education Innovation Award: open to students and staff working in an educational institution.
Eligibility: To be eligible, projects must have been active (in creation and / or production) in 2016 and / or 2017. Applicants must be based in Victoria, though the project may involve oral history work interstate or overseas. Applicants need not be members of OHV, though they will be added to the OHV mail list and encouraged to join. Members of the OHV committee may not apply.
Each award winner will receive a prize of $250, and all shortlisted projects will be posted on the OHV website. The judging panel may award joint prizes and / or Commendations for Excellence to outstanding runners-up. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to make a short presentation about their project at the OHV annual general meeting on Thursday 26 October 2017.
How to Apply: Applicants must email an application as a Word document or pdf attachment, to each of the three judges listed below, to reach them by the closing date, 1 September 2017.
Your application must include:
- Applicant/s name (individual/s and organisational affiliation, if applicable)
- Award you are applying for (Community or Education)
- Project name
- Applicant/s contact address, phone number, email and (where available) web address
- In no more than 500 words, a description of the project and explanation of why it is deserving of an award for innovation in the creation, interpretation and / or presentation of oral history
- A list of all outputs produced by the project, including website addresses where appropriate
- If a significant project output is a book, journal article, essay or some other format that can be provided to the judges, then one copy should be sent to each of the three judges at the following addresses:
Alistair Thomson (Chair of judging panel) email@example.com;
postal address: History Program, Monash University, Clayton 3800.
Susan Faine firstname.lastname@example.org;
postal address: OHV c/-Royal Historical Society of Victoria, 239 A’Beckett Street, Melbourne, 3000.
Michael Green email@example.com
postal address: 32 Macarthur Place North, Carlton VIC 3053.
Details of the 2016 award winners available at: https://oralhistoryvictoria.org.au/ohv-awards/